|Daily Blog • September 8, 2013|
As far as my game grades go after the 2008 season was completed, I devised a power ratings system, which lets me analyze at what level each team played during an individual game. This “game grade” takes into account the yards rushing, yards passing, points scored, rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed and points allowed and factors them in against the opponent played and even factors in the site the game was played at.
With all these factors taken into consideration you will see teams that lost the game having a better individual game grade than teams that beat them simply because the team they played was superior and much less was expected of them.
Here are the Top 25 Game Grades (Team Performances) from Week 2
|8||Arizona St||Sacramento St||158||365||55||51||116||0||4||356||99.17|
|9||Utah St||at||Air Force||217||360||52||162||108||20||-1||307||98.84|
|13||Stanford||San Jose St||197||207||34||35||216||13||0||153||95.26|
|16||Texas Tech||SF Austin||237||494||61||69||287||13||-2||375||94.04|
|23||Penn St||E Michigan||251||323||45||61||122||7||-2||391||91.69|
|24||Ohio St||San Diego St||263||182||42||64||216||7||3||165||91.14|
- It is well documented that I was very high on Texas this year, but last week was not the best situation for them traveling to altitude while playing a BYU team that was off a misleading game against Virginia. Kudos to the Cougars who rushed for an amazing 550 yards including QB Taysom Hill who ran for 259, the 2nd most by a QB in the last 10 years. Their dominating 40-21 win over the Horns gives them the top performance of the week!
- Last week Buffalo gave highly ranked Ohio St fits all the way into the 2H but this week against Baylor they were destroyed 70-13 as the Bears rolled up their 2nd consecutive romp by outgaining the Bulls by 418 yards. Thru the first 2 weeks, I would say that the Bears have been the most impressive team in the Big 12 so far.
- I thought Virginia had a shot at keeping relatively close with Oregon prior but it looks like the Ducks have not missed a beat with their new HC as they outgained the Cavs by 259 yards. Unlike LY, it looks like Oregon is keeping their foot on the gas pedal in the 2H as they have outscored their first 2 opponents 59-0 in the final 2 quarters.
- Georgia was in a must-win situation following the loss to Clemson last week and they delivered with a huge win over South Carolina. The Bulldogs had great balance on offense with 200+ rush and 300+ pass yards and nearly outgained the Gamecocks by a 100 yards in their 41-30 win.
- What a nice start to the season for Washington St and HC Mike Leach. After nearly pulling the upset LW in SEC country vs Auburn, this week they went on the road again and this time got their upset 10-7 over USC. Despite TO issues on offense, their defense has surprisingly been very physical as they stone-walled a USC team that I was very high on in the preseason.